Keto Beef Stromboli
Tarte Tatin is a delightful classic French dessert perfect for cold fall days.
Forget calorie counting here. Just learn to savor and enjoy yourself.
Apples are caramelized in a caramel sauce, topped with a homemade buttery crust and baked until crispy. Unlike traditional pies, the tart bakes upside down, then turned almost immediately before ready to eat, showing the beautiful caramelized apples on top while some for the caramel sauce is dripping onto the serving platter.
I used Gala apples this time but Granny Smith, Jonathan or Golden apples work as good.
Tarte Tatin can be made with other fruits, like pears, peaches, quince or plums. It is an easy dessert that impresses each time. It can be served as is, and can also be served with ice cream or whipped cream for a delicious blend of textures and flavors.
For the filling
1 tbsp ghee or duck fat (15 ml)
1 small yellow onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
400 g ground beef (14.1 oz)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
2 tbsp sugar-free ketchup or tomato paste
1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
1/4cup turkey pepperoni chopped *optional
4 slices provolone, Monterey Jack, or cheddar cheese (113 g/ 4. oz)
For the dough
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (170 g/ 6 oz) - use low-moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese; not fresh mozzarella.
2/3 cup almond flour (66 g/ 2.3 oz)
1. Heat a skillet greased with ghee over a medium-high heat.
2. Add chopped onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned and fragrant.
3. Add minced garlic and cook for one more minute.
4. Add ground beef and cook until browned and opaque.
5. Add mustard and tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then take off the heat.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 360 °F (fan assisted).
6. Place the shredded mozzarella in a bowl and microwave for about 2 minutes, checking once or twice, or melt on the stove over a low heat. Mix in the almond flour.
Using a fork, combine well until you create dough.
7. Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until large enough to wrap around the filling.
8. Using a slotted spoon, add the cooked cheeseburger meat mixture in the centre of the dough (do not add any excess juices from the skillet). Add pepperoni.
9. Top with cheese slices.
10. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, make cuts about 1 inch (2 cm) apart on the long sides of the dough. Do not cut all the way to the filling but just within about 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the filling.
Fold all of the strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side, and stretching the dough as needed.
Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.